The gardens are divided into three areas: the orchards and two terraces for strolling.
The palace was built to be outward-facing, as the initial intention was to use it basically as a hunting lodge. It covers a 17-acre area enclosed within a traditional garden complex laid out in three terraces due to the uneven ground. The terraces are accessed by staircases, and they are joined by an orchard and a wild park which extend the gardened area, blending the palace architecture in with the rural setting.
Although the palace has historical features which enable us to surmise how it was built, there are few such details in the garden, and those that do exist are somewhat ambiguous. As for the garden’s date of completion, the land deed from 1762 mentions it as already being completed, or at least planned for completion—but it was not until 1776, when Manuel Álvarez completed the Shell Fountain, which Felipe de Castro had left unfinished, that the garden was considered completed.
This fountain was a gift to King Ferdinand VII. It was removed from the palace in Boadilla so that it could flow in all its glory at its current location, alongside the Royal Palace of Madrid, in the gardens of Campo del Moro.
It is currently undergoing restoration.