ClickPLAY for more information.
St. Christopher’s is a local parish church built on a high spot of land in the heart of Boadilla’s historical downtown area.
This is a church that combines the Mudéjar style with Roman architecture. Its core structure dates back to the 8th century and contains three naves separated by arches and supported by pillars, with a wooden roof and a semicircular apse and chevet that may have been expanded sometime after its original construction. The church bell tower is noteworthy, as its lower portion is made of solid stone, which suggests that it may be a repurposed watchtower.
Beyond the pulpit is the baroque chapel of the González de Uzqueta family—the lords of Boadilla who founded the Convent of the Incarnation in the 17th century. Because the building was partially destroyed during the Spanish Civil War, the tower, the floor, both sacristies, and the 17th century chapel were all rebuilt in 1944. A new foundation was laid and the porch that surrounds the church was added, as well as a large choir that took up a large part of the central nave. This choir was removed during the most recent restoration of 2006–2009, which sought to reclaim the building’s original features.